Every year many of us make a New Year’s Resolution. Be more healthy. Relax more. Spend more time with the kids. Perhaps, this year, it is time to make your New Year’s Resolutions with your home in mind.
Improving and maintaining your home’s HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems can begin with a few simple resolutions. The best part of these tips is that most of them will also save you money in the new year!
10 Great Home Resolution Ideas:
- Check your home’s duct work. Make sure everything is sealed and there are no leaks. For any of those hard-to-reach spots, contact a professional, like the Lee Team, for a review and inspection of your HVAC system. Sealing those leaks could save you money throughout the year. This is also a great time to check and possibly change your air filter.
- Stop putting EVERYTHING down your garbage disposal. Check your disposal manual and see what it can and cannot handle. Also, make note of how to properly clean your disposal – for example, using bleach can damage the blades and sealants.
- Reduce your water use. You can reduce your water bill AND save money with a few easy steps. Turning your water off while brushing your teeth, for example, can save you thousands of gallons of water each year.
- Insulate your pipes. Adding insulation to your pipes can help you avoid broken pipes and future water damage. You can also have a professional, like the Lee Team, inspect your home’s systems for potential issues.
- Renovate with more efficient appliances. The start of a new year can be a great time to update your bathroom or kitchen area with new appliances or amenities – all of which are more efficient than older models. This can save you money and, as a bonus, is kinder to the environment.
- Fix leaks before they get worse. A small leak can quickly become a big problem. One small leak can add up to thousands of gallons of wasted water (wasted money) every year. Contact the Lee Team to check any leaks you might have or for a home inspection.
- Check your home’s wiring. If your home’s wiring is older than 20 years, have a professional, like the Lee Team, inspect it. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) home electrical fires are caused by old wiring, faulty electrical outlets and issues with switches, plugs or cords.
- Check the batteries. Mark your calendar to schedule time to check your home’s smoke detectors, at least once a month.
- Schedule a furnace inspection. An annual inspection can prolong the life your furnace, save energy and improve your home’s air quality. Schedule this inspection in the spring and have your air conditioner inspected at the same time, before the onset of summer heat.
- Make 2017 the year you remember that your toilet is not your garbage can. This porcelain throne is the receptacle for human waste, not paper towels or female hygiene products etc.
With home New Year’s Resolutions such as these, your 2017 is sure to be less stressful.
Contact Lee Service for more information or to schedule an inspection today.