Are You Safe from Carbon Monoxide?

Taking proper care of your home’s furnace is a valuable way to keep it efficient and cost effective. It is also an important step to keeping you and your family safe. Poorly functioning appliances, especially a gas-burning furnace, can open your home a variety of issues, such as the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas produced within the wall of your furnace’s heat exchanger. When your unit is functioning properly, the gas is directed safely outside of your home. According the CDC (Center for Disease Control) this dangerous gas contributed to over 16,000 deaths from 1999 to 2004.

Improving and maintaining your home’s heating system, can help you avoid this danger. Here are some tips to keep in mind concerning your home and CO.

  • Contact a heating professional, such as the Lee Team, for an annual maintenance check on your furnace. This is one of the most important steps to avoid CO leaks in your furnace. Our highly-trained technicians will review your system, inspect it for any potential issues, clean it fully and perform preventative maintenance. This inspection can also save you money throughout the year by helping your furnace run more effectively.
  • Change your furnace filter. Your furnace needs to breath, much like you do. Without clean filters, the airflow can get backed-up into your heating system. Changing your filter will help your furnace “breath” easier.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector. CO is dangerous gas that is colorless and odorless and you will not know if you have a leak until it is too late. A CO alarm will alert you before the levels in your home reach dangerous numbers.
  • Know what to do if your alarm does goes off.  If your CO alarm does go off, move outside and contact your local police or fire department. Do not re-enter your home until emergency responders have given you the “all clear”.
  • Check the batteries. Mark your calendar to schedule time to check your home’s CO detectors, at least once a month. This is also a great time to check your home’s fire detectors.

Besides your heating system, carbon monoxide can also build-up in your home from other sources.  It is a good idea to have a professional check your fireplace and gas stoves for potential issues. Firstalert.com is a good place for additional information on potential CO facts.

Contact Lee Service for more information or to schedule an inspection today.