As a homeowner, there is always something that you are doing around the house, from fixing a leaky faucet to a running toilet, or worse. People usually tend not to think about plumbing needs until something starts leaking, they want to replace a fixture, or they want to remodel.
To make sound decisions concerning your plumbing needs and issues and to avoid possible disasters, here are some basic things all homeowners should know about their plumbing.
Home plumbing tips you should know to avoid disasters and possible costly mistakes:
1. Always know where the main water shut off valve is located.
2. Know how to turn off the water heater.
3. Know how to read your water bill and your water meter to monitor your water usage for possible spikes and/or issues.
4. Know what kind of waste system you have and where the clean-out plugs are.
5. Know where your air conditioning condensation lines are and if they are working.
6. Isolation valves at each fixture will stop the water flow to that location. Know where your fixture shut off valves are and don’t use them unless it’s necessary.
7. Use duct tape or pipe sealing tape to pull together a crack in a pipe, as a temporary solution.
8. Always have a pan under the water heater, and make certain your water heater’s pressure-relief valve is not leaking.
9. A cup plunger can be used for small drains like bathtubs, showers and bathroom sinks.
10. When unclogging a kitchen sink, use a second plunger to cover the other drain to get the most force to remove the clog.
11. To unclog a toilet, utilize a forced cup plunger.
Lee Service is a family business that has served the Kenosha and Racine areas for over a quarter century. The spirit and heart of our company is all about doing the job right. Lee Service is also committed to maintaining your trust and confidence with our team of experienced plumbers. Lee Service is available 24 hours, 7 days a week, to immediately serve you.
To learn more about Lee’s offerings, visit our residential plumbing page.
To contact us for a non-emergency, contact our team.